Thursday, January 28, 2010

Harry Potter Allegory!

As evidenced by my incredibly awkward blog around the beginning of the decade, I'm not very religious, and my knowledge of the "plot" of the Bible is pretty much limited to movies. But the more I think about it, in a twisted-far-fetched-symbolic way, Dumbledore was Jesus. (I Googled it. Not an original observation, and JK Rowling has refuted it directly... but let's continue, because Harry Potter fandom is something I understand more than Biblical studies-- exponentially moreso.) Dumbledore was wise, caring, charismatic, interesting, complex, dead, and overall simply COOL. Traits easily attributed also to Jesus, right?

Meaning that basically, Snape was Judas. (And WHO here didn't root for Snape a tiny bit? Come on. *raises own hand*) Only the deaths were out of sequence. It's the same sort of, "Well, shit. It's going to happen by some means so just get on with it, do it, *I'm* certainly not in the position to get all bitter about it, life goes on"-- Deathly Hallows is awesome despite the physical absence of Dumbledore, and on the other side of it, if you read til the end, APOCALYPSE!

Little anecdote regarding Snape: When my mom was picking up my pre-ordered copy of Deathly Hallows, the cashier asked her, "Is Snape good or bad?" She, knowing nothing about this, guessed Snape was good. She got a purple sticker with "Trust Snape" on it. Had I been with her, I would have asked to see the stickers and picked which was prettier. I was still undecided, (like I am about a LOT of crap, more important than this) so my method of decision-making comes down to stuff like color of the stickers.

Less far-fetched, does this mean Voldy was SATAN?! :O See, HP haters? It teaches good moral lessons, never promotes Satanmort, and does not turn people into witches/gay/kangaroos, any argument you may have against the books. **side: isn't there some theory that Jesus was gay? I mean, it's like brotherly, one-arm-guy-hug type love for the apostles/disciples and such... (grammatical side: is the T in "apostle" silent, like "whistle" and "castle"? Shouldn't the possessive of "Jesus" be "Jesus's", instead of "Jesus'"? Wouldn't that imply the PLURAL possessive? Multiple Jesuii, having things that belong to all of them?)**

Don't these sound like something out of the gospel?:

"I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me... Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it. (*cough*I'mwatchingyou*cough*)

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them." (people are fuckups sometimes, but we all have to deal with them, if not love them, for their flaws...)

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." (after all, heaven= awesomeness)

"I don't need a cloak to become invisible." (*cough*stillwatchingyou*ahemhemhem*)

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."


Okay, sign me up for the Church of Albus Dumbledore...

No comments:

Post a Comment