Thursday, December 10, 2009

Inherently funny words

(I apologize in advance for the load of random crap this blog is, sometimes I feel bad for having not blogged in a while so I stop ignoring the blog post ideas in my head that are random utter crap. Also, I really have to stop rambling on like this to increase word count. Nanowrimo has not left my consciousness yet)

Wikipedia (all knowing god of teh interwebz) has a whole article devoted to the phonosemantics and use of "inherently funny words". Very interestiiiing... Apparently even people who don't speak English can appreciate the random funniness of words. For some reason I felt the need to blog about this, (but really, isn't that ALL blogging stems from?) and why not, anyway? Try not to laugh at any of the following: (question: does this only work verbally? The inherent LAWLability of words isn't mentioned when the words are typed...so consider whether you laugh or not to be part of some sort of scientific test!)

Weasel
Pumpernickel
Spork
Haberdashery
Fribble
Uvula
Zymurgy
Persnickety
Gobsmacked
Flabbergasted
Nipperkin
Giblets
Hornswoggle

(You have any better ones? Long, uncommon funny ones are always great to slip into a conversation. I could have looked a lot of those up, but this was off the top of my head. KUMQUAT!)

1 comment: